10 Films you didn’t know were filmed at Greenwich!

Greenwich can lay claim to being one of the most popular film locations in the world. With the beautiful Naval College used as a back drop for so many Hollywood Blockbusters we can certainly see why.

1) A United Kingdom

Release date: 25/11/2016 | Location: Greenwich Campus | Stars: David Oyelowo, Rosamund Pike, Jack Davenport | IMDB

2) The Kings Speech

Release date: 07/01/2011 | Location: Greenwich Campus | Stars: Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, Helena Bonham Carter | IMDB

3) Les Misérables

Release date: 11/01/2013 | Location: Greenwich Campus | Stars: Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway | IMDB

4) The Queen

Release date: 15/09/2006 | Location: Greenwich Campus | Stars: Helen Mirren, Michael Sheen, James Cromwell | IMDB

5) The Duchess

Release date: 05/09/2008 | Location: Greenwich Campus | Stars: Keira Knightley, Ralph Fiennes, Dominic Cooper | IMDB

6) Gulliver’s Travels

Release date: 26/12/2010 | Location: Greenwich Campus | Stars: Jack Black, Emily Blunt, Jason Segel | IMDB

7) Children of Men

Release date: 22/09/2006 | Location: Woolwich | Stars: Julianne Moore, Clive Owen, Chiwetel Ejiofor | IMDB

8) Four Weddings and a Funeral

Release date: 13/05 /1994 | Location: Greenwich Campus (Chapel) | Stars: Hugh Grant, Andie MacDowell, James Fleet | IMDB

9) The Big Sleep

Release date: 07/04 /1978 | Location: Avery Hill Campus (Winter Garden) | Stars: Robert Mitchum, Sarah Miles, Richard Boone | IMDB

10) Thor: The Dark World

Release date: 09/11/2013 | Location: Greenwich Campus | Stars: Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston | IMDB

Added bonus! The Crown

Not a film but the most expensive TV series ever made…

Release date: Autumn 2016 | Location: Greenwich Campus (Chapel) | Stars: Claire Foy, Matt Smith, Vanessa Kirby  | IMDB

Do you remember any movies being made or recall seeing any stars during your time at Greenwich? Share your memories with us below.

By |2017-03-31T09:57:10+00:00December 9th, 2016|Categories: Films|

About the Author:

Dan Stevens manages and maintains this website.

44 Comments

1. richard Cottam December 12, 2016 at 10:07 am - Reply

I think dock or railway scenes from “the Mummy” http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120616/?ref_=nv_sr_2 was filmed at Medway Campus, I may be wrong, I know a number scene from the Shouting Men http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1360829/ was also filmed at Medway

• The Alumni Team December 14, 2016 at 11:19 am - Reply

Hello Richard,

Yes the port of ‘Giza’ scene from The Mummy was filmed at the Chatham Historic Dockyard: http://bit.ly/2gzJMtP .The shouting Men was also filmed in Kent.

Did you happen to catch any filming at the Medway campus at the time?

• Richard December 24, 2016 at 6:25 am - Reply

Yes, I helped with the arrangements for the Shouting men.

2. Charlotte December 14, 2016 at 12:38 pm - Reply

Daniel Radcliffe’s ‘Victor Frankenstein;’ was also filmed at the University and so was The Man from U.N.C.L.E and Mortdecai. with Johnny Depp.

• The Alumni Team February 13, 2017 at 11:35 am - Reply

Hello Charlotte,

did you happen to catch a glimpse of any stars?

3. pete newman December 14, 2016 at 12:49 pm - Reply

the children of men photo is wolwich town centre

• The Alumni Team December 19, 2016 at 3:07 pm - Reply

Yes, there was a scene where the main characters hide out in an ‘abandoned bank building’- which was at one point Thames Polytechnic a predecessor of Greenwich University.

4. Kimia Aksir December 14, 2016 at 12:56 pm - Reply

Now you see me 2…..

• The Alumni Team December 19, 2016 at 3:14 pm - Reply

Hello Kimia,

yes, there was a scene filmed on the main square. Did you happen to catch them filming?

5. Pooja patel December 14, 2016 at 1:11 pm - Reply

Pirates of Caribbean nights ( one of the part) don’t remember which one

• The Alumni Team December 19, 2016 at 3:12 pm - Reply

Hello Pooja,

That was Pirates of the Caribbean on Stranger Tides. Were you around when it was being filmed?

6. Sam December 14, 2016 at 3:04 pm - Reply

The Krays 1990 and the latested film were both filmed in Caradoc Street plus many more tv series’s

Also remember Patriot Games was filmed in Greenwich Museum in 1991 I think.

Pirates of the caribbean, Sherlock Holmes and Shanghi Knights that’s just a few more in the maritime.

• The Alumni Team February 13, 2017 at 11:37 am - Reply

Hello Sam,

Yes you are right. The list goes on! It’s a good feeling knowing Greenwich has been a part of so many brilliant movies.

7. Charmaine kemp December 15, 2016 at 11:25 pm - Reply

Yeah you’ve left off wolfman and pirates 3 with johnny depp riding up and down the campus – watched them filming that

• The Alumni Team February 13, 2017 at 11:44 am - Reply

Hello Charmaine,

Yes you are right! We wanted to add some movies that people wouldn’t realise were filmed at Greenwich. Did you happen to take any photographs during filming?

8. UniBooks.co.uk December 22, 2016 at 10:41 am - Reply

Thor? Really? Gotta watch it again now ;P

• The Alumni Team December 23, 2016 at 11:23 am - Reply

Hello Unibooks,

Yes a majority of the movie was filmed at Royal Naval College.

9. Mohammod shamsuzzaman December 22, 2016 at 3:05 pm - Reply

I saw few of them as I was studying from sept 2011 to oct 2014 !

• The Alumni Team December 23, 2016 at 11:21 am - Reply

Hello Mohammod,

are there any films in particular that you remember being filmed?

10. BILAL QAYYUM December 23, 2016 at 10:27 am - Reply

Hi,
    Sherlock Holmes was also shoot in Greenwich

• The Alumni Team December 23, 2016 at 11:21 am - Reply

Hello Bilal,

Yes Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows was also filmed in Greenwich. Were you around at the time it was being filmed?

11. Asifa December 23, 2016 at 10:55 am - Reply

Yes ‘Sherlock Holmes 2’ and ‘Pirates of the Caribbean on stranger tides’ were both filmed there while I was on campus. I think I also recall something about ‘The Iron Lady’. I also know that ‘What a girl wants’ was filmed there with Colin firth but that was many years ago.

• The Alumni Team December 23, 2016 at 11:18 am - Reply

Hello Asifa, Yes the ‘Iron Lady’, ‘What a girl wants’,’Sherlock Holmes 2′ and ‘Pirates of the Caribbean on Stranger Tides’ were filmed in Greenwich. Makes a film that much special knowing you’ve witnessed it being made!

• Asifa December 25, 2016 at 6:15 am - Reply

Yes exactly! Often recognise the uni in many advertisements too. It’s quite the conversation starter, especially whilst working in the television industry 🙂

12. GILBERT EZEANI December 24, 2016 at 12:05 am - Reply

Now you see me 2, The Secret Agent and a couple of others were shot on Greenwich Campus while I was there

• The Alumni Team February 13, 2017 at 11:34 am - Reply

Hello Gilbert,

That sounds exciting! Always a great way to start a conversation.

13. GillIan Reece-Jones December 24, 2016 at 9:34 am - Reply

The Big Sleep also used the Marble Hall in the old house as a bedroom.

14. GillIan Reece-Jones December 24, 2016 at 9:38 am - Reply

I don’t actually know what is still left of the Old Avery Hill College.The house part was the main entrance with the portico and the Marble Hall was just beyond the SCR .It had pink marble walls and a beautiful tiled floor and led to the Great Hall.

• The Alumni Team February 13, 2017 at 11:41 am - Reply

Hello Gillian,

Thanks for the information.

Would you happen to have any photographs of Avery Hill that you could share?

15. Sulaiman Ahmed December 24, 2016 at 10:16 am - Reply

How can you miss out Shanghai nights! Jackie chan was filmed bere too!!

• The Alumni Team February 13, 2017 at 11:30 am - Reply

Hello Sulaiman,

Yes, you are right! Shanghai Knights was filmed at Greenwich. Another movie to add to our list.

16. Rabecca Mwondela April 5, 2017 at 11:22 am - Reply

I never knew this interesting detail about Greenwhich being famous for movie scenes. I guess I hope to one day visit the university and take a tour.

17. Alumni and Development April 11, 2017 at 10:57 am - Reply

Yes Indeed Rabecca,

You can see a full list of all the movies filmed on Greenwich via the following http://bit.ly/2on2Cvm

You can also find out about tours via the following http://bit.ly/2on2Cvm

Best Wishes,

Alumni and Development

18. Raheel Ayaz May 18, 2017 at 5:32 pm - Reply

I miss you Greenwich!! good and cherished memories recalls when even heard the name. Love those days.

19. Tor Amundsen June 2, 2017 at 4:18 pm - Reply

I think they may shot The Crown there when we passed on Nov. 1st 2016. I filmed for half a minute. Looking at the clothes and cars it matched. If I am wrong it should be possible to find out what was filmed on tha day 🙂

20. Deakin green June 15, 2017 at 9:06 am - Reply

The wolfman was another filmed in Greenwich.

21. David Lunn September 14, 2017 at 12:02 pm - Reply

Patriot Games with Sean Bean and Harrison Ford, Anne Archer et al?

22. Samit December 25, 2017 at 9:15 pm - Reply

The think the bollywood film called “Veer” was shot as well.

23. David Simmons December 26, 2017 at 9:56 am - Reply

The Golden Compass was filmed at Maritime

24. Aadil February 20, 2018 at 4:41 pm - Reply
  25. Mogib March 5, 2018 at 8:58 pm - Reply

Pirates of the Caribbean

26. Atanas June 3, 2018 at 11:59 am - Reply

I remember seeing Chris Hemsworth a few times filming Thor. Was late to a few lectures because I was stood there watching.

27. Jim Gravina July 14, 2018 at 6:49 am - Reply

I worked at ATV in the early 60’s. Greenwich observatory was used as the location for a drama,I cannot remember if it was shot on TV cameras or Film cameras. I was the Boom operator It could have been around 1958//9 I can see the actor now he was young and had very whitish hair. ATV was under the control of Prince Littler and Lew Grade this was before ATV moved to Birmingham and changed it name to Central. I don’t see the name of this film on Google I usually always remember the title of the movie but at the moment it just escapes me. I will return if it comes back to me.

28. Lindsay Farwell October 24, 2018 at 1:52 pm - Reply

I was a Wren (Women’s Royal Naval Service) at Greenwich in the early 90s and saw Harrison Form film the opening scene of Patriot Games in the quadrangle. I remember a red London bus and taxis driving up and down – I always study this scene to see if I can see myself watching from a tiny ground level window in the Queen Anne block but haven’t managed to yet! Brilliant posting.